Cyclone Lusi Wins the Day

   Hello dear reader! It has been too long since I last posted, with no real excuse but for life just getting in the way. But do not be alarmed, for I have still been working hard behind the scenes.  The local libraries have been furnishing dusty reference books from their basements, and I in turn have been reading furiously; taking notes, photocopying pictures that inspire.  All in the name of research.  And whenever the opportunity arises whilst travelling on work business, I will pop into a nearby library (I have found it so much cheaper to spend a spare 30 minutes than a bookstore!), be it Taupo, Hamilton, Panmure or Wellington, and glean another nugget of information that could be the key to this saga of a novel that is turning over in my head.

   I've also spent the last few months decluttering all the 'stuff' that I seem to have been carrying around or accumulating over the last twenty years. Some could say that this is procrastination at it's best, others could say, about time Jess!  But how refreshing it is to have all your 'stuff' sorted and reduced to manageable size; a long overdue task.  All my cards (my one vice, buying greeting cards) are in one box.  All the postcards purchased (another vice ...) on various travels are now in an album for easy viewing, instead of in the paper bags they were bought in and tucked into books or shoved into drawers.  Knitting and embroidery patterns with their accompanying paraphernalia are separated and in their own containers.  Notebooks (oh dear, another vice) are lined up on the shelf according to size and colour, ready for use.  Clothes and shoes savagely and honestly appraised and cast-offs or 'what were you thinking' items sent off to be loved by someone else.

   With all this now done the project at hand is back to the research.

   And today seems to be the perfect day.  The house is spotless, laundry under control, dinner being prepared by the resident master chef, the cats are asleep in their cat bed (the bed warmer may or may not be plugged in, I couldn't possibly comment).  Oh and the tail end of Cyclone Lusi bearing down on us means we are primarily prisoners indoors, with the wind howling and a continual wet downpour, said to get worse in the next few hours.

The remnants of Cyclone Lusi, our driveway, 15 March 2014
   This means no gardening, no general outdoor maintenance, no sweeping or weeding or watering beckoning me out with a silent middle name of Procrastination.  The perfect day to be indoors and at my little desk, reviewing the week's research progress, planning for the week ahead.  And of course a barista on hand whenever the need for another frothy flat white or steaming strong black tea is required.

   So dear reader, let me finish this post by wishing you the best of weekends, and let's not be strangers. I promise to be in touch more often this year!




Comments

Popular Posts