Where I ponder if a Character in my Novel will have a Typewriter




Remington Model 5T
Typewriters.  What magnificent, intricate machines.  My own love affair must have started with an old dusty Remington, a playtoy for me and Alisha when we were children.  I wonder where it came from? Then there’s that scene in the movie ‘Annie’, with Grace Farrell (Daddy Warbucks' secretary), dancing in his busy office with the typing pool ladies and all those typewriters.  And of course the classic image of a solitary writer with his trusty old typewriter, pounding away, pouring his heart and story onto the crisp white sheets of paper. 


Imperial 'Good Companion 1'











Last weekend, with some spare time and the camera already set up, my budding typewriter collection got the star treatment in their own photo shoot. Banal, I do realize, but it was the first time I’d had all three machines out and dusted and photographed for the sheer joy of it. Such fun.

Olivetti Studio 45

I’ve had a great few weeks of researching, ideas and plot lines buzzing about, and the local libraries have been nearly exhausted on what I can find on the topic at hand.  By pure chance I had a few hours to spare in Pakuranga recently and discovered on their library shelves just the book I didn’t realize I was looking for.  It gave all the answers to the questions I had. A thrilling find. 

The other day I read an interesting article by Anita Loughrey interviewing Ian Flitcroft (Writers’ Forum, Issue #147 2014).  His final recommendation; “You should write about what you are passionate about – be that something real or something that is pure fantasy.  It makes writing far more fun and changes research from a chore to a delight.  After that, remember that research sets the scene but it is the characters that have to carry it.”

It’s easy to get bogged down in the research and lose sight, motivation and purpose.  With that in mind, I have decided to finish up on the research this week, and start thinking about the characters.  I wonder if any of them will own a typewriter …? 






Comments

  1. Ahh, the good old days with the Remington typewriter. I can remember many a time when typing furiously, (and a definite amount of strength had to be applied to enable any kind of speed to be accomplished), I would miscalculate the angle of descent, pound into the slightly raised edge of a key and pain would radiate through my finger! It didn't stop me from loving our typewriter though. I wonder what happened to our Remington?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica, this is great! Thank you for sending the link. I have loved reading your progress into writing. I also had two Remington's in my bedroom growing up. One sat proudly on my bedside Dresser and my top drawer was full of neatly lined up stationary and pens! Maybe you also have my love for the smell , look and feel of a good book, old or new. It may look strange to someone in a shop viewing me open a new book and smell it! Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more. Gwenda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts