Dreams

July 30, 2015

I woke up this morning to the exciting news that yet another Kiwi author has made it onto the ‘Man Booker Dozen’ for 2015.  Anna Smaill, with her debut novel, The Chimes’. 

This news made me emotional for some inexplicable reason.

Happiness that a New Zealander can achieve such praise.

Frustration that I haven’t done more, pushed myself harder, brought my own goals closer.

Hope that there may be a chance that I could reach such a level of recognition.  Anna is the same age as me, and although highly educated (I am most certainly not), we’re both still late 70’s babies.  A slim connection but I’m taking it alright!

It could very well take ten years to get my novel to publisher stage, but with a little motivational push like this I’m willing to give it a jolly good go.

I also came across a poem today by Langston Hughes, and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect.


Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.





Well done Anna, here’s hoping you’ll take away the prize, and thank you for your encouragement (albeit unknown), to a fellow ‘70’s baby and fledgling Kiwi writer.



Comments

  1. Awww, i got all emotional just reading that! Thats the spirit, keep going and don't let your dreams go. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts